Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Star Magic Internship Experience Part 2

Can you believe that I'm still posting here?

Though bringing back the event of last year is not really classified as a legally accepted #throwbackThursday, I would like to bring this post up just because this is the perfect time for sharing what an internship experience is like so *drum rolls* I bring you, my internship experience part 2! I know, i know, recalling it feels like shoveling up a vintage necklace from your grandma's long forgotten jewelry box. I'm reviving sharing this with you, my dear readers, who I hope are internship seekers, so that you'll be more eager to submit your CVs at ABS-CBN.

To help you keep up with the pace, here are some important links you need to read:

Processing my internship
Internship week 1 and 2

WEEK 3

Week 3 was when I finally have someone to share this magical experience with. Garen and Judy were from New Era University. Surprisingly, upon a minute of talking to each other, we already felt that this was going to be a good team up--and our communication after the internship can attest to that. Anyway, this was also the time when I get to train myself in writing a press release. Thinking about it, this was nothing different to what I was doing during my internship at Comm & Sense. But this time, I was writing for the image of the model or endorser and the product that was being promoted. The task was to write a press release of the newly opened Diane Stalder Spa and Cafe at Gateway Mall. Really? Can you believe that you're getting the best full body massage and quench your thirst with the aroma of a cafe latte both at the same place? Isn't that a real deal? Hahaha so I guess with that, you can now have an idea of how press release writing is like.

If I remember it correctly, there was an event for this week and it was about Piolo Pascual's press conference on Sunlife Financial. But since  I already got the chance to attend two major events of the succeeding past two weeks, Ate Lyks told me that it was time for the newly hired interns to savor the moment. Haha. Also, during the ordinary days at the office, artists just casually enters in the workplace to talk with their talent handlers and road managers. And us, interns, would respect their personal space and afterwards, politely asked if it's okay with them to take a picture with us. And I guess you already knew what their answer was.




The last two were wih my co-interns, Garen and Judy. :p

Week 4


Nothing big for this week. On a normal day when activities were not piled up in the workplace, talent handlers asked us some favors like photocopying all the collected articles of their specific artist. Little and easy as it may seemed, I think this task was still as important as the energy-draining ones because each effort is important to achieve the one common goal--to develop the career of the Star Magic Artists.

And of course, taking a picture with our favorite artists was part of our everyday stay at Star Magic.






Week 5

This was just another week of daily monitoring. But something to get ecstatic about this week's activity was doing the BTS of Star Magic Artists on Inside Showbiz September 2014 issue. (I hope you did buy it on that month! If not, please go purchase one in the nearest booksale branch in your area. Kidding.)


The photoshoot was held at One Mega Group's studio at Eastwood. The artists that fans should get anticipated for in that issue were Liza Soberano, Yen Santos, Marco Gumabao, Jerome Ponce, Marlo Mortel, Alexa Ilacad and Nash Aguas. Garen and I were the ones who got assigned to perform the task. Sounds easy, right? But did you know that while doing the Behind The Scenes (BTS) shoot, we have to squish out the creative juices in us to write a press release about that week's talk of the town, The Voice Kids Finale? Yeah, right. Multistasking at its finest. As a media practitioner, one must always be prepared to meet the deadlines even if it was just given at the last minute. But it ended well because a BTS can't be tiresome especially if you have a Liza Soberano, the lady whose career in the showbiz industry is sprouting healthily just like strawberries in Baguio, was the subject of your photography. Hay she is so damn pretty and I can't contain this sismance (a counterside of bromance lol) I'm feeling towards her.









Week 6

For this week, my task was to do the BTS of Gimme 5 (John Bermundo, Brace Arquiza, Grae Fernandez, Joaquin Reyes and Nash Aguas) at Manila Bulletin office. Working with these teenagers were fun and purely spontaneous because pressures were all put aside since talking to them felt like just having a casual conversation with your teenager self. Anyway, my favorite part of this day was after the photoshoot was done, the boys were just chilling around the place when colleage girls passing by started noticing them. Others probably can't believe what they were seeing and you can sense as their mouths expressed, "si nash ba yun?". Then after a series of blushing, giggling and pushing their friends around, these group of college students had finally got the courage to approach the boys to take a picture with them. After the selfie, every single college girl chuckled as they checked from their mobile phones the pictures they have with Nash Aguas--which got me thinking that these Gimme 5 boys can give the girls the kilig feeling no matter what the age group was. Hahahaha.

It was a whole afternoon activity but Ate Lyks told me it's not yet time to leave since there were paperworks left to do. She also brought up that Ikaw Lamang Book 2 Presscon was happening in the building which I was not able to get a hold of myself while inside the van with Gimme 5 Boys. Hahaha! For the second time around, I'll be seeing Coco Martin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started to act like a fan girl but not in a i-will-push-you-out-of-the-van kind of way. I just kept saying, "Ate Lyks birthday ko bukas huhuhuhuhu" and she just gave me a laugh.


When I arrived at the office,  I saw Garen and Judy just finished doing the media monitoring and I exclaimed, "Si Coco Martin daw nandito!!!" They felt the excitement running through my veins and pushed me into going after my dreams. Hahahaha. (I asked permission to Ate Lyks, by the way.)  I don't remember the exact details after that but all I know was my feet, my system, my everything, were iitching to run to the said venue. Afraid I'd look like an insane fan giggling to herself on the place, I called Khiani, one of their classmate who was assigned to a different department to share the feast with me. Hahahahha. Coincidentally, she was also a die hard Coco Martin fan and as my first text went with, "ASAN KA??????????????????????????????????????" She already knew what the intense emotions were for. She told me that she was still in school but would exert an effort to go to ABS if it meant having a glimpse of our dear Coco Martin. I can't wait any longer so I already went to the venue of the presscon and screamed internally as seeing him again. Ohhh that dazzling eyes and contagious smile would drive me insane! Then after an estimated time of forty five minutes, Khiani arrived and I can totally imagine the explosions happening inside her because I felt the same way too. Hahahahha. All in all, it was a very fulfilling week of my internship! An advanced birthday gift, I guess. Haha.








Week 7

I already completed the required hours of my internship but I chose to extend my stay because with all the recent events that  happened, how could I afford to leave?! Haha kidding aside. Ate Lyks and Ms. Thess didn't mind at all the extension since any form of help would be greatly needed, especially this was the time of the year again when the biggest event, Star Magic Ball 2015, was bound to happen a few weeks from now. Since my  two bosses were busy with that said project, I and my co-interns were commanded to do other business aside from that. I wrote a press release of Kathryn Bernardo as the new endorser of Chic Nails while my co-interns made a writing about the premiere night of the movie, Somebody To Love, and Zaijan Jaranilla's Twitter-breaking song performance on The Voice Kids. For this week's selfie with the artists game, Ate Lyks allowed us to go with her to go the venue of Thanksgiving Party of the record-breaking movie of none other than the Teen King and Teen Queen, Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo, She's Dating The Gangster. From the group of teenagers who would risk everything to take a picture with their idol, I sighed upon realizing that I was able to stole a moment of taking a picture with them. Trust me, it was not easy, especially with Daniel. Hahahaha.




Week 8

It dawned on me that I needed to pack up and face the normal challenges of a graduating student so I set to my mind that this would be my last week of internship. The two weeks of freely allotting my time were enough. For once, I needed to make time for myself, and not always to other people around me. (Hugot. Kidding.) But seriously, as the end of semester was fast approaching, the amount of activities were pretty increasing.  Aside from that, it was time for other aspiring interns to have their collection of exciting activities too. 

On the last week of my internship, my tasks included the ever present media monitoring and helping Ms. Lyka and Ms. Tess finalized that Star Magic Catalogue. The catalogue was prepared by ABS-CBN Publishing and of course, Star Magic needed to check every details they put. I was running in circles from 8th floor to 12th floor and vice versa for every correction the Star Magic had. Honestly, it was a joint-hurting workout but the pain went at ease when I heard the victorious, "okay na yan" from Ate Lyks. Haha. It just made me smile realizing that even though  my volunteered work had extended two hours from my regular work time, at least  was part of the success of the release of Star Magic Catalougue 2015. :)




Too often, when college students look for an internship, one of the benefits they anticipate for in a company is a provided allowance. In case you still don't know, ABS-CBN, especially in the production and communication, does not have any allowance. But will that "con" still matter if the training that you will undergo into will allow you to truly make use of your skills in a real working environment? I guess not. Given a chance to choose between Star Magic and a company who offers tempting allowance but whose nature of work does not perfectly suits my career, I would still choose the former. Why? Because I know they are the pioneer who can help me build my career. Besides, with the right training I get to encounter with them, I will earn a money, a money even bigger than the allowance, in the future knowing that I was fully hands on with my internship experience. A good company whose goal is to make use of your skills in a real work setting, that is what you should be looking for.

The internship might have ended, but the learning will still continue. Thank you, Star Magic. :)

1 comment: